Saturday, August 05, 2006

Monkey business

We were in Lopburi, one of the oldest cities in Thailand and the land of monkeys and ruins. As some of you know, I'm a lover of monkeys and what can be better than to see monkeys taking over a city?

When we first arrived, I was expecting to see monkeys everywhere! Nope, I think we saw one, one measley monkey on the street. I was starting to wonder what LP was talking about!

We had read that there would be lots of monkeys on the ruins and I was looking forward to it. Four ruins later and not one monkey in sight. As we were approaching one of the last ruins, I told Ian that I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't see any monkeys today. Ian tried to reassure me by telling me they'd be out later this evening. I, however, was not convinced. Not more than a minute after, we saw this whole group of monkeys coming down the street! I kid you not. It was such a weird coincidence!

They were hopping off the telephone poles, hanging off the wires, climbing up the buildings, sitting on cars, what an awesome sight!


Of course I got trigger happy and many clicks later, we walked a little further down to the ruins and was even more happily surprised with many, many more monkeys there! There were old granpas, young moms, rascal teenagers and cute little toddlers. I tried to get close to get some decent shots but were actually a little intimidated by them! They would give you this look like they're going to attack!

After a while, we decided to enter the actual ruins so we can get more shots of monkeys in ruins. As we were at the gate, a monkey jumped onto Ian's back and as I turned around, another one followed suit! I didn't know what to do! Here was Ian being harrassed by the monkeys, and I finally came to my senses. I took a photo. :)
One ended up stealing the water bottle Ian had in his backpack. The little bugger wasn't all that bright though as he ran away with the bottle upside down. Needless to say, by the time he got away, the bottle was empty.

Once inside, I ended up getting a monkey on my back once and a cute little one hanging onto my leg another time. Not so bad for me. Ian on the other hand is a monkey magnet! If he was a monkey, he'd be the alpha male. They were all flocking onto him. Everytime I tried to help him by trying to get one off his back, they would stare at me and hiss! A little territorial, aren't we?

I can't believe we were surrounded by so many monkeys! What a field day. I now have more photos of monkeys than I'll ever need! Might as well post them here!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home