Thursday, August 03, 2006

Am I supposed to bend that way?!?

I'm usually a lover of massages but little did I know what I was in for when I signed up for my first Thai massage! A couple days before the full body massage, I had gotten a foot massage since we had done a lot of walking. That was a bittersweet experience as there were times when I was really enjoying it and relaxed and other times, not so much. I must be a glutton for punishment though as I put myself through 1 full hour of a full body THAI massage a couple days later!

As I sat there waiting for my turn, I watched the massages that were just finishing and thought maybe I should just get up and run! They were put into some pretty weird positions and this girl was walking on this guy's back! Hmm, that can't be a good thing. My legs didn't work though and the next thing I knew, I was on the massage table being contorted into weird positions.

I have had a pain in my right hip for the last week or so and warned the massage lady about it. Instead of going easy on it, she paid extra attention to it (which may or may not be a good thing). She kept telling me to relax which was very difficult as I was worried I wasn't going to be able to walk after this!! When I told her it was a little painful, I swear she had this menacing smile on her face. These women must like causing pain! She was probably thinking how much of a wuss all foreigners were.

After much focus on the legs, she moved to my back, neck and shoulders. Now, I usually LOVE neck massages but all I felt on this one was PAIN, PAIN, and more PAIN! How was this possible? In addition to this, my back was bent in all these weird positions and cracked many many times. The weirdest part though, was getting my neck cracked! I totally didn't expect that but it did feel a lot better afterwards.

All in all, I'm glad I did it once, but never will I do it again. I'll stick to the good ol' sissy swedish massages in Canada. :)

1 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yah. Wayne and I had Thai massage the next day we did some hiking and our legs were so sore to begin with. Yes yes, I think those ladies, with their menacing smile, were talking about us in Thai while our faces were contorted with pain!! But it's quite an experience!
(oh, Wayne and I went to Thailand in Dec 2005: http://www.hoho.ca/gallery/Thailand2005)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home