Sunday, April 23, 2006

A lifetime of excitement in just 3 days

We've been MIA for the last few days because we've been trekking at the infamous Tiger Leaping Gorge (see Ian's blog) which starts just after the first bend of the Yangtze River. As Ian said, completely nervewrecking at many points. I felt so bad for Ian being that terrified of heights and having to do this trek because there were some serious drop offs where if you slipped, that was it. You were falling 300 to 400 metres down to the gorge. Needless to say, I was terrified as well but I managed to enjoy the scenery a little more than he did. It was absolutely beautiful there. We were so close to the snow capped mountains.. amazing.

Our first night into the trek we stayed at the Teahorse Guesthouse. Loved it there, it had the most beautiful platform facing the mountains. I was so excited in the morning, I woke up super early to enjoy the peace and quiet. Reminded me of camping mornings but even better! Here's a photo of us on the platform.

Second day, our trek was along the lower trail as we've had enough of the heights. I thought this would be easy! Was I ever fooled. Now did I not only have to worry about falling over the edge into the gorge, I had to worry about crazy landslides! You would see these huge indentations in the roads from falling rocks. I was so glad to finally get to our last destination, Sean's Guesthouse. It had quite the scene as well as it faced this huge mountain wall. Ian managed to unwind then with a beer.

It's so sad to think that all this might be under water someday. There is talk that the damns will cause the water to reach the height of the road.

Our ride back out of the gorge was about all our hearts could handle. There were possibilities of landslides galore. When we got to the part where Ian and I had to run across because of falling rocks the previous day, it got even worse when we had to drive across! All we saw was our driver in this little tiny minivan looking up at the mountain to see if anything was about to fall. All of a sudden, he guns it over this pile of rocks that had already fallen! I swear, I thought we were going over and into the gorge at that point. This little vehicle bounced left (towards the gorge!) on the rocks twice before we cleared it. I think we might have had a foot clearance before we would have toppled over. Yep that was it for us. We were never coming back. Glad we did it though, it was quite the adventure for both of us.

5 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy! those are awesome awesome pictures! good work staying alive... and not doing the double-chins! what an adventure!

i can't believe you guys will be in tibet soon... how long have you been talking about tibet!

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Jenni said...

Thanks Felix! Yes, the staying alive part was a smart move :D Although we here the overland in Tibet is not for the faint of heart either... oh what are we doing.

We fly into Tibet tomorrow!!!!! How long has it seriously been.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!!! Have fun in Tibet... enjoying every moment of your blog and pictures...
Sam

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the beer with the mountain back drop. What a scene! Kinda like a upside-down view of Ian's double or triple chin.

 
At 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TLG? That was easy...no worries!!! Hahaha...EBC here we come!

Don't worry, by the end of the trip, there won't be any double chins left...I guess I should cut out all the beer huh? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home